It was one of those late mornings when we got home from whatever we were running around doing by 11:30 a.m. instead of after noon. Because we were all in a chilled state of mind, I decided to make something for lunch instead of serving leftovers. Then again, “making” only led me as far as an Annie’s Mac n Cheese box. I did not want to just have TJ eat this as-is so I decided to make it healthier. It turned out ridiculously delicious and I was so proud of myself!! TJ loved it as did I.
- Annie’s Macaroni & Cheese Shell and White Cheddar – 1 box
- Broccoli florets – cut thinly for quick cooking (TJ prefers the florets) – As many as you want
- Chicken breast chunks – 1 can (12.5 oz) packed in water
- Chicken broth – As needed
- Butter – 1/4 Tb
1. Cook the Mac n Cheese packet as per instructions, drain, and keep ready. Do not add the milk and cheese.
2. In a pan, heat butter and once it melts, add the cut broccoli florets and cook until tender.
3. Add the chicken breast chunks and shred right inside the pan. Mix well with the broccoli.
4. If the contents feel dry, add some chicken broth (Remember your drained Mac n Cheese will also have some liquid so don’t add too much broth, just enough so things don’t stick to the bottom of the pan).
5. Add the Mac n Cheese and blend everything well.
6. Add the packet of cheddar cheese that came with the packet or grate some fresh Parmesan right into the pan or before serving.
Special Tip: You can make this as healthy as you can creatively imagine doing. The second time I made this, I didn’t have broccoli so instead, I shredded zucchini as my vegetable. Then, instead of broth, I used a blender to make a fine paste of an avocado and added that to my chicken-zucchini. This was a major hit with everybody!