I know I am digressing from my theme of intercultural parenting but I’ll get back to it soon, I promise. For now, as a soon-to-be mom, you’ll forgive me if my enthusiasm for all things baby is superseding my cultural analysis of my potential and future parenting skills
So here’s a list of things I am looking forward to using: Note that current brief reviews are based on first impressions and pre-baby assumptions of functionality and use. I’ll update reviews once I actually start using the products.
My sister bought this for us from our Amazon Baby Registry I did a lot of research before deciding on this brand and this style of diaper bag. At one point I was really keen on a Skip Hop bag especially since it came ready to hook on to strollers (the Ju Ju Be brand of bags require special hooks you need to purchase separately or of course you can just shorten the handles and attach them to the stroller handle).
I was super excited to get my Ju Ju Be. We got the one in the picture above since Aaron said he would also use it too with that color combo.
It is made up of Teflon like water proof quality material (you can see their video on their website) that seems sleek and sophisticated. It has a very wide angle. I am a small boned person with small shoulders so the wide shoulder straps are a little awkward for me but I appreciate the softness and thickness of the band. They look like they should be really comfortable. I have a bunch of things in there now and it doesn’t yet feel heavy but then of course I probably don’t have as much stuff as some moms might find useful to have in there. I am still learning and for now, I think I am well equipped.
Here’s what’s in my Ju Je Be All bag now:
1. Since the Ju Ju Be All comes with its own changing pad, I decided to go with it. It looks and feel soft and good enough for now. If needed, I’ll replace it with one of the stand alone changing pads I have.
2. Earth’s Best – TenderCare Chlorine Free Baby Wipes Travel Pack – 30 Wipe(s)
(I have the small pack now because I want to try out different kinds with my child because I don’t know how sensitive he/she will be to chemicals and other stuff that goes into wipes)
3. Boogie Wipes Unscented – 30 Count Packs – 3 Packs
(this is one of those things I bought simply because a lot of people seem to use it. I had never heard of it until recently. It is also a cultural thing. In India, we just use our fingers to wipe a baby’s nose. If I lived in India, I would never have heard of Boogies Wipes or wipes made especially for cleaning noses – not talking about tissue papers/paper napkins).
4. A couple of small toys and a couple of small books
5. Two bibs (that were designed by our friends at our baby shower), a hat, scratch mittens and a burp cloth)
6. Huggies Little Snugglers Newborn Baby Diapers, Pack/36 (again, testing out diapers. I have stocked up on different brands)
7. Munchkin Arm & HammerDiaper Bag Dispenser and Bags, 2-Count I bought two separately because that worked out cheaper and they were on sale when I bought them. I also bought some extra bags. Not sure if I’ll need them but doesn’t hurt to have extras stashed in different places that I might need to use for at least the next 2 years
8. Kushies “On the Go” 2 Pack Wet Bag, Green – I read the reviews on the more expensive bags but decided to go with these because I knew I would be using a separate plastic diaper bag (see above). So my plan is to place the used diaper inside the plastic bag and then inside this wet bag. This should seal the smells in. The Kushies bags don’t have zippers. They have drawstrings.
9. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Diaper Rash and Dry Skin Protectant, .35oz Dual Pack
Note that these are really, really tiny. I was a little surprised by how small they were so you could get the bigger ones. Then again, my justification is, what if my kid turns out to be allergic to Aquaphor despite all its great reviews!? Might as well start small.
10. Mustela Baby Cold Cream Nutri-Protective Ultra-Nourishing Cream For Dry Skin (1.3 oz) I personally have no experience with this brand but in doing my research for baby skin products, the Mustela brand came up over and over again so I decided to accept the high price of this product and try it out. It smells good and it should help taking care of my winter baby’s gentle skin
11.Gerber Unisex-Baby Newborn 2 Pack Sleep N Play Animals, Animals Green, 3-6 Months I have two sets of clothes for my baby in this bag. Once the baby is born, I’ll only keep one extra set but at this point, since I might take this bag to the hospital, I have two sizes in here, the green one from this Gerber set (newborn size) and another one from Carter’s that is size 3-6 months in case my child is bigger than we expect him/her to be.
12. Finally, I also have a blanket/stroller cover/extra big burp cloth/nursing cover – a multipurpose sheet that we got as a hand-me-down.
This is not a comprehensive list of course. This is just what I have in the bag now, pre-baby. Items will change and get updated depending on my baby’s needs.
Feel free to contact me at: desimom at desimomandbaby dot com if you have questions or need more details of products.